Tuesday, November 11, 2014

E-9 Quilt Jail


The Dear Jane software gives instructions for this block to cut 16 patches 1 1/4" x 1 1/4".
and 12 patches 3/4" x 1 1/4".

I cut 4 red strips 1 1/4" x 6".
and 3 white strips 3/4" x 6".
I wanted to make sure there was a bit extra for straightening the cut. I got caught short with one of the earlier blocks and had to cut some more strips.

I sewed the white strips to the red and then joined them all together pressing to the red.
I forgot to take a picture of the next step.

Then I cut this into 1 1/4" sections and laid them out like this.
This block is the same technique as I-3 which is a 9-patch with different measurements.
I sewed all these together and got this.
No matter how carefully I sew, I end up with irregular 3/4" strips.
I do pin when I am connecting these rows
This time I sewed 1" strips around the outside to frame it.











And trimmed to a 5" square.



Remember that my intent here is not to write a full tutorial for every block for the whole quilt. You can find this block at that quilt.
I am posting how I am doing the blocks. When I get stuck and need some help, then I will go to thatquilt.blogspot and get some help. I had half of my first DJ blocks competed before I ever found it and was grateful that I did because that is where I discovered their reverse applique tutorials. Also, they did paper piecing by tracing the pattern from the DJ book onto freezer paper and give excellent directions to do it that way. This will be very handy for anyone who does not have the DJ software to print off paper piecing patterns like I did and will do again.

Blessings,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment