Monday, November 10, 2014

I-3 Family Album


I made this one quickly early one morning between flights and it turned out a bit off. I might redo it, but not right now.


Cut 1 coloured strip 1 5/8 x 10 inches.
Cut background 3/4 x 10 inches.
This is where the pre-cuts come in handy. 
Sew together.
Press to the dark. 


Cut into 6 smaller sections that are
1 5/8 inches wide.


Cut another 1 5/8 x 6 inch coloured strip.
Cut 3 squares 1 5/8 inch.


Lay out the 9 squares like this.
Sew together each row across separately.


 Cut 2 background strips 3/4" x 5"
















Lay out each row to look like this.

Sew together.
Press.



 Good luck figuring out which way to press since the strips are so narrow.




At this point, I had cut coloured strips 3/4" x 5" for the log cabin strips around the outside and will square it up using the 5" Dear Jane ruler.
I would recommend cutting these strips 1" wide and then squaring up.
If the center of the block is a bit too small, which happens often even when cutting everything precisely, it can be made to the 5" size by adding coping strips which is what Jane did with many of her blocks.




When I started my first DJ quilt, I had no idea what I was doing but did find the block tips on the Dear Jane website. There are many suggestions for cutting and assembly  here and here.
Just scroll down until you find the block you are working on.
Blessings,
Chris

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Chris, I found continual pressing to the dark at each seam row helped.

    ReplyDelete