Friday, December 12, 2014

E-10 Five & Dime

I am posting 3 blocks today that all have the same applique technique. Remember, these are simple techniques the way I am doing my blocks. There are lots more ideas on the "that quilt" blog. The link is on the sidebar.
This block is the same as the previous block  A-7
Make a simple  4-patch block by cutting two 3 inch green squares and two 3 inch white squares and sewing them together.
This block had only 2 coloured melons so was easier to place.

It really does look straighter sitting here beside me.

A-7 Dad's Plaids

I started by making a simple 4-patch block by cutting
two 3 inch blocks of white background and
two 3 inch blocks of focus fabric.

I traced the melons from the book and made sure they were a bit smaller so they would fit into the square without coming too close to the corners.
Actually, I cut the wash-away fusable floriani using one of my GO custiom leaf dies. This way, I cut out enough for 3 blocks.
Using the purple Elmer's school glue, I first folded in the points.
 The purple really does disappear.
 Glued down one side.
Then the other side making sure that I got a nice sharp point.
I got some new steel applique gadgets at the AQS back in the summer and am still trying to figure them out. I used my fingers more than the rods.
I am still working on it.  

Using a matching white thread, I took a tiny stitch through each of the center points of the melons in the order I wanted them to be positioned when finished.

Then pulled the threads together so the points all came to the center neatly.
Still working on the neatly.

When I was happy, I glue basted the
melons in place. Then waited for it to dry.

And finally, machine appliqued them in place using a simple straight stitch in matching thread.
I will square it up to 5 inches.

The end.


E-1 Aunt Exie's Phox

After much deliberation and procrastination, I finally decided to machine applique the melons with a simple straight stitch in matching thread.  I traced the melon shape onto the floriani making sure it was a tad smaller so it would fit into the block corners. I turned the seam allowance under and glued it with the purple Elmer's.
This next step I found on a blog somewhere last year and thought it ingenious. Using a matching coloured thread, I took a tiny stitch through each of the inside melon points in the exact order I wanted them to lie in the center of the block. I am using the same coloured thread as the piece I am stitching down so it is already in place and ready to stitch away.

Pulled the threads together, but not too tight.

Then arranged them neatly in the center. The white thread did not show up in the fabric so I used a black background.

Now the melons are centered on the 5" square and glue basted in place after centering. I initially hand appliqued this block but found it a bit stressful pushing the needle through the fabric. SO, I decided to machine applique after all in matching thread. The square above is the correct colour. 

I am still not too sure about the wash-away effect promised with this floriani stuff. It feels a bit stiff right now, but I am committed.


Thursday, December 4, 2014

G-5 Poof

This block is the same technique as the previous one H-13 with the exception that the white strips through the center finish at 3/8".

Believe it or not, I did this one wrong the first time also.

Cut the  coloured square 5 1/2"
then cut diagonally both ways.
Cut the cross strips 7/8" wide.
Cut 2 cross strips 3 1/2" long.
Cut 1 cross strip 7" long.

Sew together as shown.
I pressed to the dark. There is not enough room inside the back of the cross strip for both seams.

This quilt is a perfect place to try a lot of new techniques because each block is small and different. The sky is the limit for trying new things. 

For this block, I traced the center design onto wash-away fusable web. I ironed the cut-out to the back of the background fabric and cut out leaving a scant 1/4" seam allowance.
Cut to the point at those 4 inny curves. 
Then centering the patch onto the prepared block, I glue basted it in place. You can see that the center X shows through the patch on top even with the fusable web. I think I might have to trim away the backing in the center.

I needle turned the edges under using my favourite #10 milliners needle.

Interesting how lighting can make such a difference in how the colour shows. I took these pictures at 3 different times this past month.
The background fabric is a Kona white that I got as a pre-cut from Craftsy. Even with the white wash-away fusable inside, you can see right through it, although it is not a really thin fabric.

So, what I have decided, now after stitching a few of these by hand, is that I will be doing them by machine applique. I prefer the needle gliding through the fabric and not being pushed through. That is a bit stressful on my hands.


Monday, December 1, 2014

H-13 Farm Fields

Don't let the simplicity of this block fool you. I did it wrong the first time for both quilts by cutting the square a bit too small.

The DJ software says to cut the focus fabric 5" square. I recommend cutting it 5 1/4" or even 5 1/2".
Brenda says to "make it big and whack it off."
Cut the square diagonally both ways to  look like this.

Using the pattern in the book, measure the width of the white stripes and add 1/4" on both sides for seam allowances.
I used the 1" pre-cut strips for this.

Cut 2 shorter strips 3 1/2 long.
Sew together to opposite triangles.
Press to the dark.
Cut a longer strip 7".

Sew to one triangle than the other.
Press to the dark.
Trim to a 5" square.